Thursday, January 10, 2008

Pretty Women


What is it about pretty women that makes men's blood boil?
It's funny how much girls tend to "fix" themselves up for the attention of men.

I just came from a little meeting with some of the dudes I work with. It's funny how they're so enamored by a pretty face, a name, a few pics showing some skin, a hot face with a sullen look about her.

This is funny coming from a former make-up artist/stylist. It is just now that I see how much a pretty face can launch a thousand ships and break a man's heart. Though I can't imagine what it's like to launch a thousand ships, I think I can make a pretty launch a million ships with what I do.

I also remember walking past a colleague the other day. Oh, I can absolutely picture her in a cover shoot. She looks so hot in her preppy dresses and she stands tall and proud. She knows she is beautiful and she is darn proud of it. I made the effort to say "Hello" and got shot down with a frown.

Don't get me wrong. I'm sure something's up. Maybe she's not that mean. Maybe the systems went down again earlier and she had some trouble fixing it. Maybe she had a problem with a client. Maybe she had a fight with a boyfriend. Maybe her panties are up in a bunch...Maybe she is nice and I fail to notice it just because I can't see past the dress and the heels and the frown.

I tried again earlier today, and got a weird awkward-looking smile.

OK, so I kinda figured, if she'll be mean to me, I shouldn't care at all.

I remember having pretty girls as friends in high school and being treated like a second-class citizen whenever I audition for plays and casting calls. I was the sidekick and they had to outshine me.

I remember somehow that I have always been the "smart, funny, chubby kid" in high school. I got along with the boys because I can play some sports and not complain that my hair would be messed up by the time volleyball practice is over. I was the org pres because I wasn't scared of pulling my weight quite literally and figuratively) around campus. I was the girl who wrote straight-to-the-point sports articles and got to hang out with the cutest boys in campus just because it was my job and I remember all the pretty girls hating me for it.

I even remember someone slipping me a note saying "Akin si JXXXX" (Translation: JXXXX is mine) in my locker. Now that I think about it, that was incredibly petty and unnecessary because friggin' JXXXX is hers! I hope they're still together.

So, do I like pretty girls? Do I like pretty women?

Probably not. I'll never be one and never was one.

Thank God!

No comments: