Monday, October 01, 2007

A Customer's Worst Nightmare


Yes... I have fallen prey to the snazzy advertising and the cheesy theme about connecting to loved-ones abroad. Aren't we all suckers for that whole crap about connecting to people you care for the most?! At one point or another, you only want to make your life easier, hence my need to have internet connection at home.

I have been a loyal consumer of this broadband company. In fact, I was one of the oldest customers of this brand. Ever since they started their campaign, I have been loyally paying my bills, lining-up to get decent customer service and yes, even commenting on their forums. I even have a friend who works for them!

Last week, I was aghast! No internet connection! Meaning, I won't have the chance to see and talk with Jeoff who's MILES away. Did I ever mention how much I was looking forward to talking with him?! Well, I was! I was looking forward to it very much! I mean, it's bad enough we're not together, let alone not seeing each other, but OMG, those people from the broadband company didn't make it easy.

On Saturday, I was tasked to troubleshoot the connection with this agent named "Jasper Atienza" over the phone. And I was very very patient. I know what it is like giving instructions over the phone since I used to work as an Internet Service Guide. Oh dear! Damned thing is I knew how to manipulate the situation too. I asked for an immediate house visit by their technician and I wanted it PRONTO! Since I was just a few blocks away and I have been with their company for a year, so and so... Poor "Jasper" had to say yes, because I bet his AHT (Average Handling Time) was increasing due to moi.

Fast forward a few hours after, I called again. Some lame ass agent answered the call and said that she is seeing a report. I called for a supervisor. Wanting a direct quote from a supervisor. After 15 minutes of being put on hold, some supervisor named "Mike Revilla". (Why I'm so lavishly adorning my blog with their names is because I'm SURE these aren't their real names!) He promised me a visit this Monday. So I assumed things were going well.

Lo and behold, Monday came and the people didn't visit me on the supposed time. I set an appointment from 9AM - 12NN. People know that this means BEFORE lunch and it means WITHIN the hours of 9 in the morning until 12 in the afternoon. I called up and some dude which I didn't bother getting the name of answered and got all panicky and crazy. I was really pissed...

It's one thing to let people know of an estimated resolution time. It's another when you don't get what you were promised or what you were told. The agent said that if I could wait one more hour.

It was 2PM. I was getting mighty pissed.

"If you don't get your tech people here within the day, I swear, I'm gonna tell all my friends and my family and everyone else I know never to sign up for your lame ass service again..." I hung up and sat down. I smoked a stick. Ugh! So infuriating!

The tech people came at around 7PM. Time when I got to work.

My dad was messaging me the whole time. They want this and that and I couldn't attend to these question because I was busy!


When I got home, I needed to reconfigure a whole set of internet connections that they didn't use and the reconfigure the one they used. (READ: How many LAN Cards can you have in one PC? Apparently we have three!) After 15 minutes, I was surfing omce more...

I feel kinda bad now that I yelled at the customer service dude last week. It wasn't his fault. But it does get really tiring and really disappointing when people tell you things and they don't deliver. Especially when they place blame on someone or something (THINK: It's raining really hard, We have a lot of customers scheduled, etc.). I'm not saying I always do a bang-up job when I'm the one promising something. It just means that I try. Sadly, those people I spoke with were not even trying. They were probably willing to agitate me so I'd hang the phone up and just redial and I'd fall into the crack of the almighty telephone router system.

So whoever reads this and you're working for a customer service company or you're a customer-please, be nicer.

No comments: