Tuesday, August 05, 2008

honest

I went to the laundry house earlier. It does have a clever name - Laundry Matt. Talking with Tito Mateo, the owner and his helper, Ate Ana, it was as funny as hell.

"Tito, magpapalaba po ako ng blanket, magkano na po ba un?" (Uncle - typical Pinoy way of greeting an elderly man, I'm going to ask you to wash some blankets, how much would that be?) I asked.
"Ah okay lang, 55 pesos per kilo yung blanket, comforters namin 75 pesos."(That's okay, 55 pesos per kilo for blankets, 75 pesos for comforters", replied the elderly old man who wanted to be called "Matt".
I placed the huge plastic bag I had with two comforters. The scale read 5.75 or 5 and three-fourths.
Ate Ana was standing behind me, and was looking at the reading. "Ah sakto, 5 and a halves..." she quipped...
"Ate hindi po, 5 and three-fourths po..." I said as quickly as I can.
Tito Mateo, standing over the reading, beamed proudly... "Yan si Michelle, LAGING nagsasabi ng totoo...". (That's Michelle, ALWAYS telling the truth.)

I wanted to die right then and there.

No comments: